Wednesday, January 11, 2012

My (almost) Paleo Babies.



I love good nutrition almost as much as my two little girls, Jacinda (2 yrs) and Lucy (8 mths), so what gets me excited....and I mean really excited!! is seeing with my own eyes the effect paleo nutrition has on them.

Cell by cell my children are growing into adults and the quality of these newly formed cells will be determined by the quality of their food. The biggest gift I want to give them is a platform of optimal health to achieve their dreams. It may be athleticism to play sports at elite level, mental clarity to create a masterpiece or the ability to be Mother one day. I want to hand that freedom and choice to them on a plate.....literally.

Unfortunately, modern culture clashes with ideal paleo nutrition. From day one, there can be challenges with breastfeeding, not enough time to prepare mushy food from scratch, sugary "treats" well-meaning people give to show their love etc, etc, etc, etc....... it never ends. Right up until my children become old and grey, they will live in a world that pulls them back and forth between great nutrition and harmful food. Therefore, rather than putting a barrier around them and making them feel weird, superior or resentful about their food I have decided I'm going to teach my girls how to prosper nutritionally in the modern world.

So, here is what we have done so far.......

Jacinda
Jacinda was exclusively breastfed, and continued until 16 months. She slept through the night beautifully from 5 weeks old and was a happy baby.

At 5 months old she began eating solids, pureed vegetables prepared at home. Then, when Jacinda was 6 months old I began eating primal myself. The impeccable timing of this change is something I will be forever thankful for because it meant that my baby would spend the next few months eating strictly paleo foods.

Then, she got bigger and I no longer had complete control over what went in her mouth. The first time I saw her eat lollies and biscuits I felt sad, my baby was growing up and I could no longer give her 100% of what I believed to be best for her. It's not my style to be an overprotective, controlling Mother so I knew right then and there that I had to change my game plan.

So, now we only eat, prepare and buy primal food. But, we also don't stress out if Jacinda bakes some muffins at creche or is treated to dessert at her Grandparents house. However, her 90% Paleo diet has certainly lived up to it's promises! with one runny nose in her entire life, long sleep filled nights and a laid-back persona. Well, for a 2 year old anyway!

Lucy:
Before Lucy arrived I was certain she'd be a champion sleeper. I read the words of paleo-eating Mothers claiming that nutrient-dense paleo breast milk would put their babies into a deep slumber. But despite my quality meals the mystery remains.....what DOES make a baby sleep?

My nutrient-rich milk was priceless though, Lucy put on weight effortlessly and had a calm nature. However, things were were more challenging second time around. Looking after a toddler and a baby was HARD and 2-3 feeds every night wasn't helping. So around 3 months, we made the decision that Dave would help out during the night by giving Lucy a bottle feed. Formula isn't paleo, I felt guilty about it, but looking after a toddler and a baby alone all day isn't paleo either and that couldn't change. I continued to breastfeed for 6 months, counting down the physically uncomfortable and sometimes painful days.

Lucy currently eats paleo mushy food, but to be honest, it's more supermarket jars of pureed pumpkin than home made pureed pumpkin these days. Someday soon I'll experience deja-vu as I witness her eating lollies and biscuits for the first time and stepping out into a culture that embraces harmful food. Then, I will help her live in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment